Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Carseat Canopy


I am expecting my first baby in June. A little girl. This is the car seat canopy that I made for her. It is a combination of two tutorials. One had an awesome template for the handles, but I did not care for the canopy template, so I used the measurements for another canopy.  My tutorial is down below.





Supplies
1 1/3 yards of exterior fabric
1 1/3 yards of interior fabric
6-8 inches of Velcro
Pencil
Buttons, Ribbons, any sort of embellishment (optional)
Handle template (go to fleecefun.com click on the canopy tutorial . Download the the template. The download is 15 pages, but you only need page 12 and 15. You can specify that in printing options. A cool trick I learned from super hot/nerdy husband.)

Step 1
Cut the the interior and exterior fabric 32" x 42".( I did mine 36" x 42" and wish I hadn't done it so wide.)

Step 2 (optional)
Round the edges. I traced a plate  to accomplish this.


Step 3
Sew the interior and exterior fabrics together. Make sure the pretty sides are facing each other. Be sure to leave a gap, so you can reach in to turn the fabric right side out. I left about 8 inches.

Step 4
Take your handle template and cut out four handles on the interior fabric
.

Step 5
Sew the handles together; pretty sides together. Leave a gap of  2 inches, so you can turn it right side out.

Step 6
Sew the gaps on the canopy and handles closed.

Step 7
 Draw the gray box from the template on handles. I recommend using a ruler.




Step 8
Pin the Velcro to the handles.  This is very important,  be sure to put one piece on the front side and one on the back side or your handles will not work and you will be sad.


Step 9
Pin handles to the canopy. It is best to do this with the actual car seat since all car seats are different. This will help you place the handles in the best possible position.

 Step 10
Sew handles to the canopy. Follow the lines on the box you drew on the handles.  Make sure that all the fabric is flat, so you do not have any unsightly bunching. 

 Step 11
Attach buttons and embellshiments. I did mine with a needle and thread. You can glue it or if your super cool you can do it with your sewing machine. I'm not that cool.


Ta Da!! You're done!


No comments:

Post a Comment