Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Dry Erase Menu Board

This is a menu board I made to help me plan my weekly meals. It was created to look like a chalkboard menu, but is designed to be used with dry erase markers instead. I can not stand the texture of chalk. It makes me gag, thus the markers. I made this out of an ugly framed picture that I found at a thrift store for $4. If you would like to know how I did this just follow the steps below.



Supplies:
  • A picture frame that still has the glass. (Mine is 20x16) 
  • Cardboard cut to fit in the frame ( I used the back of the picture that came with the frame.)
  • Paint of your choice for the frame ( I used chalk paint. A recipe is easy to find online.)
  • Black and white paint for the cardboard backing. ( I used acrylic paint.)
  • Paint brushes
I cut my lettering out of vinyl on the Cricut Mini. I know a lot of people do not have a Cricut or a Slihouette Cameo, so you could use a stencil or scrapbook material to do your lettering. Whatever works best for you.
You may also notice that I do not have a day for Sunday. This is because my sister and I get together every Sunday for dinner. So I am not crazy :)

Step 1:
Take the picture apart.

Step 2:

Mix your black and white paint till you reach the desired shade for a "chalkboard." Then paint the cardboard. You will need to do a few coats till the cardboard is completely covered.

Step 3:

Paint the frame. 


Step 4:

After the cardboard has dried,  apply your lettering to the cardboard surface.

Step 5:

Clean the glass super good! I learned this the hard way :(

Step 6:

Reassemble the picture frame and backing.

Step 7:

You will need to secure the backing in. I used duct tape. Ghetto but effective. You could staple it or glue it. I do recommend the duct tape, because if you decide to change the colors in the future it is easy to take picture apart.

Step 8:

Hang your completed menu board! I hung mine on the fridge with magnets. If you go this route, you will want the huge industrial ones. You can purchase those at Home Depot. Use your favorite strong glue to attach them. I love Gorilla epoxy glue.  Do not use the craft magnets! I did this with my first menu board and it fell off the fridge and died a horrible death.




No comments:

Post a Comment